Friday, August 6, 2010

My Dream "Mom's Group"

I have investigated some local "mom's groups". I always knew I would (investigate) and always tried to be open minded. My problem is this- they always want to talk about their children. It's a "mom's group" so what does one expect right?
Here's the perfect group of "moms" that I would create if I could, and that doesn't mean I won't try to still find it...

I would like not to spend my one to two hours debating breastfeeding. I know it's a hot point and always has been. I believe women who want to should have the right to breastfeed in public, however they need to recognize that alot of the public world are not moms, don't have breasts, and also alot of people see breasts as sexual body parts. Which is normal, as is breastfeeding. So find a compromise. When I was breastfeeding Jude in public, it was in a deeply embedded beach chair facing the Gulf of Mexico watching boats go by and it was wonderful. I didn't do it right in front of some couple trying to walk in romance or training for a marathon. Get over it, alot of people are sympathetic, but they wont tell you to your face that they are not comfortable with your boobs hanging out. They could get over it too...but you have to decide how comfortable you are, and how much you are trying to prove. This is my own projection, btw, i've been through it twice. Experience is a good educator.

I would like for "moms" to talk about things besides diapers, feedings, organic food markets, bottles, recycling venues, bad fathers (seems to be a good commiserating point for women who aren't happy) and daycares.

So, in general, it seems I need to find a "Woman's Group" which includes mothers but also women who would like to discuss a little of everything else going on their world....like family issues, politics, books, movies, car parts, football, fishing and where the best places are to dance with your loved one are...because that's one of the most important thing for a mom to do- is realize a father can be half of the equation, and her life can expand at "hello, baby" and not be shrunk down to how many finger paintings their child did in school in a week.
Hello, baby. Well, how about, hello Woman!!

No comments: