Monday, August 9, 2010

Memory Lane - beware of questionable music

I got engaged to Phillip while working for Hot 107.9 and Kat Kountry 103.5 (Waitt Radio) when Smiley Jay was a dj there before going back to work for our "enemy" Island 106. He was a cool cat, and dj'd our wedding reception at the Breaker's. This was in 2002, before the more popular use of digital music. So, soon after the wedding, we received from him two cd's (and two copies each) of our chosen musical list for the reception. We both still put those one sometimes, being a good mix of songs, and most of which we danced too during the reception with friends and for many nights aftwerwards.
Here's a sample:

"Beyond the Sea" Bobby Darrin (excuse any spelling errors, my cd is in some pile by the stereo and I'm too lazy to look up stuff while writing articles, usually I correct them later)
"Megamix" Grease soundtrack- why not? We met while dancing to this stuff so...why not.
" American Pie"- Don McClean- Kevin Jacobs played this while Phillip proposed to me on the back deck of St. Andrew's Seafood Restaurant, former Harbor House, now a condo overlooking the perfect view of St. Andrews, the pass and Shell Island).
"Run" George Strait- great song
"Crazy" - KC and Jojo- I don't love alot of R&B but when I hear this song, I still have to crank it. The thump, the lead in, the harmonies...old school sound.
"Jump, Jive and Whail"- Brian Seltzer Orchestra (we often try to swing dance, it's hilarious and as big fans of the "Swingers" movie, can't help but have fun trying)
"Shameless" Garth Brooks- I mean who doesn't love a super cheesy 1990's country ballad in their wedding reception?
"Dixieland Delight"- the BEST song ever in the country genre...sorry Cash;) Alabama rocks and this was so popular when I was in high school I couldn't resist including it. Gina Dake, Amy Littleton, Adria (my bridesmaids) and I danced to this like some country club hoe-down.
Also, various Elvis, Frank Sinatra, and old big band music were included that were popular with my older family set and we wanted to keep the tempo fun and not too overdramatic.


Phillip was a trooper, as we did not include Days of the New, Tantric, Tool, Puddle of Mud, Rush, Alice in Chains, Audioslave ( i don't think they were quite formed then). I also did not include my own personal moody music like Jeff Buckley, Tori Amos, the entire Phantom of the Opera soundtrack, Nine Inch Nails, or Depeche Mode. Wouldn't want to scare the in-laws away!!

Needless to say, by the end of the night, we were at Bud and Alley's, me in my big glamorous wedding dress, Phillip in his tux, but we each had donned our favorite hats. Big, beach hats, and were barefoot. Safely nestled in Walton County, our sister county lacking in redneck flags, low-riders and Miami bass music. It was September, right before a tropical storm hit the next week. We got lucky, the weather was that touch cooler it gets up there that time of year, when the sky softens, the sun is less harsh, and most tourists have fled.

But the music, is what one always remembers. Little guideposts. Mix tapes, mix cd's and now each person has their own smartphone or MP3 player...which I wonder doesn't insulate the world a little too much. Will we still find the time to "share' music like we used to? My girlfriends and I used to have a blast listening to some mix tape in a car and later sharing cd's while getting ready to go out and paint the town. What will our kids do? Hopefully not walk around with little bugs in their ears constantly and not have shared music experiences like we have all enjoyed.

Live music is the best...
but wedding receptions - those are the perfect portrait of pop culture! the good, the bad, the ugly, and the questionable in music taste.

No comments: