Thursday, August 19, 2010

Best movie of decade?

"O, Brother, Where Art Thou?" - in this category, i did not include alot of my favorite foreign films such as "Amelia", "City of God" and "Me, U, Tambien" because there are so many I have seen and because they come from a different perspective that places them in an entire "great films" category that is just too big for me to deal with on paper...so those will remain in my head.

So...besides "Fargo", my other top ten fave, this Coen Brothers feature has everything - a unique dialogue structure (both Southern and poetic, go figure), wonderful art direction, great scenes, great musical themes and it seems to tell a Gothic Southern tale that includes a strange "American dream" story. I could also say the same thing about "Fargo" without all the Southern stuff- it is the stuff of Midwestern boredom, naivete and straightforwardness that is all it's own little nugget of wealth about the "American story."

However, I just find "O Brother" slightly more entertaining due to it's folk music soundtrack and it's haunting Southern scenes that one would recognize on first sight- especially if raised "in the South".
That's my top pick. Number #2 being "No Country for Old Men". Both tales of America, both very dark, very stark, but with slight differences in the handling of good versus evil. Faulkner, Hemingway and London would be proud. And I am sure Cormac McCarthy, our modern great fiction writer, is proud of his book on film.

No comments: