Sunday, April 11, 2010

Smells

Do you ever notice how much scent affects your life? On a deep level, smell affects our buying habits, our behaviour towards other people, and our general happiness. It's one of the senses that we don't really notice "working," unless we are purposefully doing something like putting on perfume, cooking with really good garlic or noticing our pet's odors. I would submit that there are certain scents that make a body go "ding! ding!"

These are some of mine:

The smell of rain- even that weird ozone smell gets me going. I love new rain. I don't like the smell of hot pavement with rain on it, but love rain falling on grass, trees or any natural place. Wonderful!

The smell of good food, but especially grilled food- this doesn't have to be meat, but I do like the smell of outdoor cooking. It seems natural, and always tastes really good if not overcooked.

The smell of a clean car- I'm weird about this. I clean our car with AmourAll once a week because our trips to the shoreline tend to leave a lingering bacterial, salty, dirty smell that is not like a fresh picture of sand and sun, but rather a smell of dirty feet, sweat, and sand this is a tad human tainted.

The smell of sunscreen or tanning oil- even though we ditched the oil years ago, the smell of the preparation of beach going is like crack to an addict for me. love it! always reminds me of PC a little, too and old memories of long summers on the beach until midnight and taking my Tercel to sandy spots it wasn't made for.

The smell of a really good perfume or cologne- I am old school. I love a good personal scent that is perhaps man-made with some natural elements thrown in. I love expensive perfume made with real oil from roses, jasmine and spicy scents. I have always liked colognes on men, some not so much, some way better. I love Polo Black, most Calvin Klien scents and love my Chanel #5. Nothing like pulling weeds all afternoon, changing diapers, doing dishes and spraying some Chanel on before sitting outside with a nice glass of Pinot Noir. Classy? Maybe not, but it's a very nice moment.

The smell of coconuts, lime, or a any other fresh cut or peeled fruit- when I peel an orange and the kitchen smells like it- that is paradise. lovely! I have put lemon on cloths when possible and wipe down my counters for a true natural cleaning and it is like heaven.

The smell of fresh bed sheets- there are not many things better than going to bed with newly washing sheets and pillows. So easy but such a nice thing to enjoy. I had a roomate in college once comment on how I washed my sheets so often and I was like look- this is my heaven- to go to sleep after reading for an hour on the freshest bed in town. She probably thought I was crazy, and I was alright with that. Good books deserve good readers who are soft and smell like fabric softener.

The smell of babies - I relent, I must admit, a very good smell. They smell naturally good, their bodies full of life, no disease, no unhappiness. It is true, they smell very very wonderful!

The smell of a night after dancing- I am always happiest after a big night of dancing, this is how I met my husband and this is how I will always see myself, among other things. The sand between the toes, the sweat and the natural high from dancing the entire night. Somehow we manage to still get that done every now and then. It is my outlet, it is my personality in a nutshell and it will always be the best scent of my world- the scent of fun, faded perfume, suntan oil, dancing to all kinds of music and cheap beer perhaps. Yuck? No way! It is the best smell in the world.

No comments: