Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Rules for Respect in 2012 Elections

in 2008 I learned a few lessons. Some of them were hard. It took me a while to take a step back and realize some of my friends and family were preaching from their own perspectives and although they said they respected my views, they really didn't show it. Now, I realize that I should have been better prepared for such an deluge of political banter, something I used to enjoy engaging in, but learned quickly that I better get used to a good beating instead of a good debate. Here are some rules I would like to put out there for 2012...


1. Listen to each other.

2. Respect that we all come from different viewpoints...due to jobs we have had (I've worked two jobs at once several times so it was hard for me to relate to people who work for a family firm or who are just rich).

3. Realize that though I have been a conservative minded person for over a decade now, that I don't condone wearing white robes and burn crosses.

4. Racism runs really deep and is sometimes hidden. I have listened to some "liberal" minded people who are all for putting people in groups based on race, gender, social status etc. Now, I know they are well meaning (really not being sarcastic) however, I have always believed that putting people into "groups" for funding is VERY racist at a certain level. But they would never agree...because they are "educated" and know better.

5. On that note, I think most of the people that I know who are very hot tempered when it comes to elections and issues are well meaning.

6. Next, I wish people would try to do more for people on a ground level...volunteering for whatever their "issues" are. I know people work, and it's hard, even when I worked full time I still volunteered to charities in order to do Something.

7. I wish people would shut out the media this year and not think that every Conservative person is the same as the next. We are not one group, just like I would never group some of my more liberal minded friends (whatever that means) to some of the others who are completely different.

8. I went to see Sarah Palin speak in Clearwater FL because it was very exciting to me to see a Woman involved in a high stakes election..it had been a while. I never took Hilary Clinton seriously and stopped admiring her way back in the 90's before FB and major internet information. I welcome any new women candidates in the future and love the fact that I saw her before the media chewed her up and let us all make fun of women, all over again. Thanks media!

9. On that note, I have said many times, that Palin will not win a presidential bid. Oh sigh good and thank you many would say. Let's offer up something else then.

10. Obama will win again. And that's the way both parties want it. I wish there was a stronger third party that represented my issues and ideals but there isn't. I am so sick of the arrogant spokespeople for all the parties that love to stir the pot and create such nastiness. LIke someone said in the WSJ lately...there's no class left in political debate. Amen. I lived through that experience in 2008.

11. I wish when my friends brought up a political topic, they will let people listen, talk and offer their own opinions without being condescending. Let us all try to keep the flame of debate alive, like it used to be...arguing our points at times if needed with respect, and letting our minds be open to hear. I used to listen to others, until their voices got full of bitterness and cynicism.

12. Do not assume you are always "right". Not everyone agrees with you. And that's ok, unless they are wearing a white robe or talking about how they loved Hitler. That's not ok. Nor is eugenics, or any other weird nastiness.

Thanks, and have a great night, all you different- minded friends!!


No comments: