Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Hello friends!

Ok so let's catch up a little. I have been super busy and of course it's much easier to reply and respond to FB items than to take the time to write and THINK about something for the bloggedy blog. First, let's address the latest challenge to myself...the Whole Food Lifestyle change that I began last week. For 3-4 days I wrote down every single thing I ate (even handfuls of peanuts, etc). Over the weekend we went out to eat with family and Phillip & I split a great crabcake sandwhich and onion rings (yum). So, there was a little give at places.

On Monday I began again to write down everything I eat. Doing this has been incredible helpful as it fits my personality. By 4 pm, I can see everything I've munched on and make a mental note to either eat lighter for dinner, or allow for a larger menu because the worst thing to feel is to go to bed hungry ( I mean tummy grumbling hungry which has happened since starting this diet). Eating ONLY whole foods is difficult for one main reason- convenience. I spent about $30 at the produce stand (our normal amount is $20) per week) and loaded up on more carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes and things that i can clean, chill and eat as finger food. Also, my son Nick loves a plate of cukes and maters for a snack. I also bought more mushrooms, sprouts, dandelion greens and spinach for my large biweekly salads I make for Phillip and i to share. I loaded up on lemons, limes, cilantro, pears, apples, bananas, citrus, potatoes, squash, some Oriental and Hispanic spices and starches and tons of other items to make fresh dinners.

I learned it takes alot more prep work, so I washed everything and spent an hour slicing and storing so that everything is easily ready to eat for me and the fam. We eat a ton of fresh produce every week, but I really amped it up a notch. the reason why?? You have to. I was hungry alot more often and needed to have more snacks around for energy. Keep in mind I go to the gym almost daily. I also now have more unsalted peanuts, sunflower seeds, cranberries and raisins for snacks. Did I mention that cutting out most processed food (even "Kashi" cereal or whole wheat bread) makes you HUNGRY? But it's weird how quickly I felt a difference. I literally lightened up after three days and am still working on this new way of filling our cupboards.

We didn't buy any pork, chicken or red meat at the grocery store, and haven't really since our last cookout with friends. I make a fresh lightly sweetened pitcher of homemade iced tea for us, and drinks tons of water with lemon in it. I don't drink soda (haven't really in years). I am also putting even more spices and exotic flavors into our food. We LOVE eating Indian, Thai, Mexican, so I learned more about the specific spices used so we make these things at home now. My Pad Thai is hot baby, and our meatless Enchilada and Italian dishes are delish.

So...as this food thing continues, I'll update you on how our home food lifestyle progresses and tips for keeping things interesting. The best outcomes so far are that we don't go out to eat as much as we did during the winter (still going "out" to DO things, not eat) and that as long as I do alot of prep work, keeping our cupboards more free of packaged or processed food has kept our grocery bills lower (in addition- quality red meat is super expensive these days). Will I eat a steak again? Sure, some day when I crave the ones my husband makes. It's not about cutting out what I like at all, but watching out for the processed foods that are high in fat, sugar and salt and learning to eat more of what comes naturally wrapped. Fish...scallops, oysters, Oh my!!

No comments: