Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Crackbook and Why I had to Get Back On that Crazy Horse....

so here's the deal, a few months ago, I tried deliberately to quit Facebook. I told friends far and wide (new friends old friends and ones I seemed to have alot in common with) my contact info and let them know I was going under the radar for a while. this happened for about two weeks. Then due to one night of sheer curiousity, I got back on. Then I quit again, for about 3 weeks. Then I rejoined the international space station that is Facebook. Here's why- if you are going to really quit Facebook, and if you are me, you have to actually have your friends and especially family know you are really not on it. I mean I de-activated that thing twice! But I missed several invites to some parties and events. Some of them important. People assumed I was still on FB so never sent me an old school phone call, text or even email to my super secret Batcave email address. Luckily I caught up on everything but the bottom line is, next time I quit FB for a long time ( I was trying for a half a year break) I need to make sure my pals really know it. And know that I still email and a phone ;)
I think FB is totally entertaining at this point, I used to take it more seriously when I first joined, and sometimes the political banter would hurt my sensitive little nature. However I have since recovered and know for over a year now, that their opinions are just that- theirs. And I don' t have to respond or worry or even think about the negative stuff that goes on in FB world. I can just say hello, respond when I think someone might have a respectful answer, and NOT be a victim of what I call "FaceBaiting" which is the practice of throwing seemingly innocent but subtly antagonistic comments out there and waiting for replies, and attacking them rather than accepting the fact that not everyone is the SAME. Thank you that we are not all the same. What a boring grey place the world would be. Diversity!!

So...for now. I am on FB but I am thinking now that I have gotten in touch with so many very cool people, and have actually met some of you in person the past few years, I will go under again and let everyone duke it out during election year. Some will be too busy pushing their viewpoints and most will be too busy living their lives, hopefully!


No comments: