Sunday, March 27, 2011

Poem from 1991

Out of the old red folder it comes, as the Foo Fighters play right now on Austin City Limits...wow how I love them...
Again like I said back last summer, my old poems are not for a showing of (bad) talent, but a reminder of who I was and who we are now, and who we want to be, even now in our age. Never forget what you wanted, and who you wanted to be, dear friends!

"A Day in the Classroom" (started writing this during Mrs. Gautier's class sitting behind Gina, Billy, Raven, and other friends, although not about her wonderful history class talks, just a starting point).

So the professor sits back, proud of his educated speech
on the evolution of man and Darwin's theories.
"Let's all think for a moment - what will we, as humans,
evolve into a few thousand years from now? Assuming
we are still on Earth, of course. What I mean is, will we be taller
on average, more hairy, You know - those
kind of things. Any suggestions?"
A girl in the back corner pull her blonde hair out of her
face and thinks to herself
This is pure hell! This moron has been talking about
monkeys for fifty minutes! Who cares if we get hairy, I
won't be around. I'll be in heaven if there is one, if
I make it in - wow, I need to start prayin, Grandma would
turn over in her grave if she knew what I've been doin....
A boy on the far side of the room rolls his eyes and
laughs to himself, thinking
Oh man, this really sucks! I'm starving, and I need a
smoke, cause this is really bringing me down. Hey- I could
have told this guy we came from monkeys, we all look
kindof like them...but that girl over there, she is
a hottie! What's her name, oh damnit! Well, she's stuck-up
anyway.
Then there is the girl in front of the professor's desk.
At night, in her dreams, stars and moons and multi colored
planets swirl around her body as if she were the center
of the universe.
And theories of space, time, the Earth and Life
race in and out of her mind
And she dreams of green flightless birds, and huge walking
lizards, and fish gleaming scales as they creep onto land
And sometimes, when she has a good day,
She dreams there was truly a Garden of Eden,
and she ate that forbidden fruit,
and she bore Cain and Abel.


Amen, to my old self. How I wish I could have talked to you :)


No comments: