Thursday, July 15, 2010

sublime useless entertainment

There are several actors that I love for their combined talent, looks, uniqueness and all around interesting demeanor. Some popular actors- I just don't get it!
For example
Leonardo Dicaprio- "The Aviator" was a spectacular movie (I'm a huge Howard Hughes fan, being a crazy rich recluse myself.) So, I loved this bio. Also great -"Gangs of New York". I appreciate "The Departed" and several of his roles have been ones to remember for a lifetime.
I don't get it though. Why do all the women love him? He's always squinting and looks like his tan skin is pulled a little too tight around his tummy. He looks like a boy-man, and everyone knows I don't like the boy-men! be one or be the other, but no in betweens. He's a good actor, and talented...but I just don't get the hype.

Orlando Bloom- was very beautiful in "Lord of the Rings" and I envied his long blonde locks and ability to shoot elfin arrows at wild beasts. His accent is great in the Pirate movies, and he seems pretty talented. Again- I just don't get the hype. He's kind of the same Brit type in all of his roles and if that sounds like stereotyping - it is. And he is a part of it. So blame Orlando.

Brad Pitt- have i mentioned him in previous post similar to this one? He was so very very nice in "Thelma and Louise" and is good at doing the cocky cute thing for most of his roles. He's just too perfect symmetrical. He looked best with a big black eye or two in "Snatch", like some drunken Pike a girl finds at a bar and wants to take home to tend to his wounds. The rest of his stuff he's all too "Brad Pitty."

Maggie and Jake Gylennhal- I'm not the only one to poke fun at these two and to question the great roles there are given. Maybe their family connections in the biz? I like the boy in "The Good Girl" and both were good in "Donnie Darko" but was really disappointed they didn't put someone alot more edgy in the "Dark Knight" film as it was one of the only females roles in the entire male driven movie. She looked like her cheeks were melting down into little puppy dog jowls and looks too All- American like her brother to fit some of the darker roles they have snagged.

Gwyneth *Is there any other? - Would someone please tell Miss Coldplay that standing straight and tall and murmuring through thin glossy lips is for MUPPETS, not actors. We know she had family connections but that's fine if you can act. Using hair straightener and hooking up with each co-star does not a thespian make, missy. I ah-dore her pretentious British accent mixed in with her So-cal slang. It's so very....

Next time- I'll be put a positive spin and suggest actors I'd like to see more of....are you listening Hollywood?



No comments: