Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes

as many of you know, a line from the great Paul Simon song we listen to quite a bit here. The "Graceland" album is not to be matched...it has no real comparison in albums that I can find. I went to the Scottish highland class and was put to task by some true bloods and visiting folks who grabbed my elbows and led me along the Scottish Highland way of dancing.

I came in midway between a six week basic class (not knowing this) so was caught up quick. I still don't know what I was doing but had a blast. It's always good for the soul to do something completely new. I had forgotten this. Half the crowd were actually true Scots, accent and everything. Dunedin FL is a haven for them, and has been for more than a century.

My Scot ancestors landed here around early 1800's, but these were some "new folk". They took me up as one of their own and we did some reels (mirrored, figure eights, etc) like it was in your blood. I still have alot to learn. I look at floor alot, following the patterns, need to relax more and watch my partner for guidance (isnt' that a familiar tune?)

I want to do everything myself, and quickly so as not to disturb the others, but my fate, I was taught is not in my hands, but is supported by a large group of dancers who don't let anyone fail...and this is my lesson. Let the others guide, and the music be my guide. It's fast, it's passionate, it's true Scot music. I loved letting my toes glide along to short hops and the early ballet "positions" I learned from ballet classes in my youth. I felt free, scared, and entirely unskilled. This is new to me, this is good.

Try something new. It's the salt and it's the lime.

No comments: