Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Into the Wild- a great set of words..

"Mr. Franz, I think careers are a 20th century invention, and I don't want one."
Christopher McCandless (from one the best movies I have seen despite one wary review I made, I changed my tune after a second viewing....it took a second look to see alternate messages besides the straight-forward and somewhat predictable "I hate my parents and their whole lifestyle" storyline). The film is more subtle than that, underneath, and I appreciated the beauty of the fact that what Christopher wanted, in the end, he got- utter isolation and an end to his journey that was tragic, long, suffering, yet he accepted his choice he made as his own, having noone else to blame for his end but his own solitary choices. Pride. A man's last wish- most of us don't get those choices do we, enough?

No comments: