Monday, June 21, 2010

Tesla- and the love that is all around

this is a post about the love of music, again. Tonight- I am playing"Five Man Acoustical Jam" from Tesla. Right now, it happens that "Love Song" is playing, however all their other songs (live) on the album rock, and give me the shivers such as I am in love with music. What a great album- live, with the crowd encouraging the band on, singing along with such un- cynical enthusiasm makes me so at peace. Back then, noone held up cells to take pictures and download video clips, they help up lighters and hoped to remember enough to describe the performance to their friends the next day.

I remember that time- very late 80's (when my parents let me go to see Aerosmith and BonJovi (with Skid Row and White Lion) and then my own experiences with several New Orleans Jazz Festivals and Lallapaloozas and concerts galore. Until I went to the Foo Fighters concert three years ago- I didn't realize how prevelant the cell phones had become. How does a performer feel these days with people recording them instead of just singing along and making lighting up a lighter or passing a twig along for a toke? (not that I ever did that!). How do these long time singers deal with the glaring cheesiness of the instant recorder taking their picture for facebook or their blog instead of looking directly at them and enjoying the moment?
It hurts, this change. But didn't our parents always complain about changes? Yes. We grew up with it- how things were, and how everything sucks now. We defended ourselves, we put up examples of our technology.

However, I would agree that music must be listened too- not recorded for some little cell phone sample for U-Tube. Music is for the moment, it's a life experience. My sons regularly hear us wail away on our keyboard and guitar, and we encourage Nick to play the keys as he likes to do so well. He is a natural for sound and can almost play by ear, like I can. Music is meant for sit-down enjoyment, not 30 second vids on the internet. And definitely better listened to live with lighters aflame, and not cell phones ablaze.

No comments: