Thursday, June 10, 2010

School's out for SUMMER

For the first time in my adult life, I picked my kid up from his last day at school. Fresh from his four months in a pre-k programs for student's with special needs (Nick has ocular albinism) he made friends, did art, played in p.e. and when I picked him up was covered in cupcakes, bananas and pizza. His teacher and I talked as the other parents said their goodbyes and we exchanged phone numbers for future playdates. It was weird. I am not used to being a parent, and have just decided that I may never be. As long as my children are good hearted with brains, compassion and common sense, I don't doubt my parenting. I only wonder how I got here!

How strange to meet the Principal, the overly tanned energetic PE coach, the big Italian who runs the cafeteria where I prepaid for Nick's breakfast. How familiar are the janitors always running busily around with rolling trash cans, the assistants in admin helping parents take their kids out early, or the sound of the tardy bells ringing as I drove away.

The school even has some of that strange gummy green paint on the outdoor concrete hallways, with one way arrows pointing how the children line up and walk to their classes.

wow. I have alot to write about this week but only enough time to do it each half a day. Hope you are having a good day and are happy with life. It's good to observe and take note, especially how having children makes you feel like you are living parallel lives at times.
Now, if only I could keep my sons from getting cell phones, fast cars and bad women....

No comments: