Sunday, June 6, 2010

Rain drops

We were just outside talking about our weekend and then a typical summer weirdness happened- fat raindrops about 6 inches apart started falling. No visible clouds, no thunder, just big Florida evening sunshine giving our banana, citrus, lantanas and hibiscus some much needed water. We have restrictions here, and can only water once a week- a good thing, and we respect this much needed rule. However, when the skies get dark, I do a happy dance in my head knowing it will help our new yard thrive. I just planted some cat whiskers- some drought tolerant flowering butterfly attracting plants that have, in fact, attracted some butterflies this week. I have noticed alot of stores are starting to offer more drought tolerant flowering items that may not have been as popular in Florida before the past few years, and they seem to come from Texas. Anyway, it's nice to feel rain, however far apart it is, and know that our new plants are getting some love.
How are you? Was your weekend good? Were your thoughts, like my own, filled with an uneasy dread about the oil spill situation? For the past weeks my anxiety has grown, but I try to find ways to help in any way possible.
What are your favorite memories of the panhandle area? of New Orleans, of beautiful Biloxi and the ever hidden but treasured Perdido Key?
Do you remember when Back Beach Road was two-laned and the road to LA was one bumpy trip after another as each state's version of highway became more and more like a western pioneer trail? Hold onto those thoughts, and send your well wishes to those who are losing their Gulf- oriented lifestyles and jobs.
We have already planned a trip to New Orleans for January (perhaps right on my birthday). I would love nothing better to revisit our "other" backporch and give them any monetary support we can.
As the Rebirth Brass Band's song says "Do watch you wanna!" I am ready for some Cajun music and sounds of the old south.

All this said, sleep well, friends. Take time to take care of yourself, and therefore be able to take care of others. Every few days it seems, I have to remind myself of this.
Like the fat raindrops outside, little reminders that life moves on, good with the bad. Always changing, always giving when we are there to notice.



No comments: