Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Inspiration, the real kind

From "The God Memorandum" by Og Mandino, 1975. This book I have now, I borrowed from my Mamaw and Papaw McMullen and will return to them this weekend at our McMullen annual reunion. It gave me strength while Phillip was at an Air Force Base during 9/11, and is one of the few Christian based books I have ever really taken seriously, that touched me. I don't like "agenda" based self help books, but this book, still in it's small hardcover glory (hard to find these days) has a complexity to it that is underneath it's "positive" self help topic heading. If you can ever find it, read it. If you are not a Christian, it may open your mind to the possibility that all "Christian" books are not about changing you. It is only good advice, and very very inspiring.


"Your potential is unlimited. Who else, among my creatures, has conquered gravity, has pierced the heavens, has conquered disease and pestilence and drought?..Never settle for the crumbs of life. Never hide your talents, from this day hence!
Remember this child who says " when I am a big boy" but what is that? And then grown up, he says" When I am wed." But to be wed, what is that, after all? Then...."when I retire"....Enjoy this day, today and tomorrow, tomorrow.
You have performed the greatest miracle in the world.
You have returned from the living death.
You will feel self-pity no more and each new day will be a challenge and a joy.
You have been born, again, but just as before- you can choose failure, or happiness. The choice is yours. I can only watch...
Count your blessings.
Proclaim your rarity.
Go another mile.
Use wisely your power of choice.
Do all these with love. love for others and love for me. Wipe away your tears, reach out, grasp my hand, and stand straight.
Let me cut the cloths that have bound you.
This day you have been notified.
You are the greatest miracle in the world."

now- that is some strong stuff. I didn't write it, but every few years, or months take the time to read this book. It contrasts greatly with my beloved Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Salinger, even Cather, Millay, Kate Chopin, and other great modern women writers. It's so positive, so heart wrenching- only if you let it be so..it might even touch you.

Let go the cynical mind for a moment and find something out of your normal circle to read. It can be a big wide door to follow through, without having to close others behind.

No comments: