Wednesday, March 7, 2012

slice of meat

I just dropped my oldest son at school and on the way home over the hills and through the woods I heard the best poetry every laid down to notes :

Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard"

If you've never had the pleasure of Meatloaf's music in a while, please do yourself a favor and listen to his tunes once again. He's no Keats, but he's got a way with sexual metaphors and passionate lyricism that would make Anais Nin go weak at the knees. If you don't know who she is, please do yourself another favor and get a book of hers..its erotic story telling and it's BAAAD for an early century girl (girlfriend of novelist Henry Miller).


Here goes a great part sung by the female singer sharing the duet with Meatloaf:


Sung to piano tune going faster and faster, mimicking the tension of two lovers stuck in a car wanting to get down to business...


"Stop right there! I gotta know right now, before we go any further do you need me? Will you never leave me, will you make me so happy for the rest of my life, will you take me away, will you make me your wife? I gotta know right now! Do you love me? Will you love me forever..."

Piano tune them Meatloaf

"Let me sleep on it, baby baby let me sleep on it..let me sleep on it, I'll give you an answer in the morning..."

And he goes on to plead with his lovely lady to please let him sleep on it, at the same time wanting to end the tension and just "do it" in their car (they are only 17 after all)...

it's timeless, it's poetry. It's time to include Meatloaf in the cannon of American prose forever.

Emily D. and her "fly" can make room for the maestro of love. more Meatloaf please!

No comments: