Sunday, February 6, 2011

Oklahoma City finally gave my husband back to us after 3 days of driving through snow.

After 6 weeks of being at OKC for FAA certs, my husband is back home. He drove literally through 3 days of blizzard conditions to get home. It was surreal for us, because here in Clearwater, it was always above the 60's and never got cold since New Year's. He arrived here from my parent's home in PC today around 1, having a nice outdoor fire night with my dad and eating at Captain's Table for some good seafood. It has been a long 6 weeks, being with my young sons pretty much alone. I did have alot of help from visiting Mom and Mom in Law, both wonderful caregivers and loving family members. In the end, though, the parents do the day to day things, up for school, diaper changes, cleaning the highchair 6 times a day, cleaning the floors, trash pails, laundry, dishes and even trying to plant some things (spinach, herbs and tomatoes and peppers, the usual easy early spring stuff). Every night as time went on, I felt like a rubber band that was being pulled a little tighter. When Phillip got here today, it was like "Titanic" or "Casablanca" but we've had those moments in our past...times apart that almost make it worth it just because it lets one see the value you place in each other. The love is always there, but there is something dramatic and romantic in our relationship that has always made being apart that much more intense. Our family is once again whole, and although we usually go altogether to these FAA certs and live in the apartments for a short time and explore the weird city that is OKC, I opted out this time due to Nick being in school and the nasty Jan weather. Phillip wanted us all to go.But, good thing, because I don't know how I would have entertained our kids day after day until 3 pm when P is done is such nasty cold weather. Here, I was able to take them to the trails, the park, the beach, the gym, to see family and to have family over to visit. Much different.

Have you ever been to OKC? It's a very odd spot. Big city in the middle of NOWHERE. We have been to a great blues fest there, and an art fest when Nick was 1.5 but it is always very windy there, I am talking a strong, nonstop wind that blows orange dust over everything, and it gets into your clothes, your hair and your cars. It is totally flat, even flatter than Clearwater. It is wide open, which I love usually in the Western States, but this state has no substancial plants, geography or scenic views to enjoy in their vast landscape...just plains that were bulldozed by pioneers about 100 years ago and left no trees behind because of their farming. All the natural prairie grass or trees are gone, replaced by strange subdivisions and alot of interstates running amuck. Anyhow, it's always great to visit new places, but that is one place I could never live.

Good night folks, I hope your family... whatever the unit size is..is doing great tonight. We could all use comfort after such a nasty last year and I look forward to making this one better, in many ways.

Ta ta for now!!

No comments: