Monday, January 17, 2011

Preaching isn't DOING>

I think, after viewing all the wonderful MLK footage on FB, that we should rename this holiday "Respect Day". Equality is a great ideal, but let's face it...while humans are still on this Earth, there will always be classes, ranks, division of power, racial discrimination. Whatever. I wish people would live in the present. I wish people would be realistic, it would really take a load off of their minds to realize that humans have brains, for better and for sometimes, worse. We use our intelligence to get ahead, to deal, to strive for ourselves and our families, to gain satisfaction. What bugs me ALOT are the people that PRETEND that they don't live that way. They see themselves a certain way, but that's not how they really are. Be how you are. Accept it. Most folks I am friends with, are very good people, with good hearts and are intelligent. Trust me, this doesn't mean that Intelligence equals a second degree. It may, or may not. Living in a vacuum and denying that you are just as elite, WHITE, and pretty well off does make you any more "smart" as any of the rest of the world. I have been around these people throughout college and after, and they used to amuse me, now they just annoy.
Respect to your fellow man is the best we can do. It is a great thing to do, not a lowly acceptance. Respect to anyone, regardless of race, religion, background, etc. This is hard for alot of people. I for example, find it hard to respect people who hate on Christianity, then I usually find that they are fighting a personal war with family members who happen to be religious, and it's something they have fought against since their teens. Rebellion, since there is no Woodstock...
I am guilty of being suspiciuos of well to do white people who live in a non black town (DUNEDIN, where we currently live) that constantly preach about racial issues. I think...when have you ever been involved in a racial issue? Ever? Sometimes, I think there are some who just wish they had lived during Woodstock, and that's fun to think about, but I am glad that era is over. Thank God that my parent's generation did so much civil rights work for us so that my high school days were not so nasty and full of hatred due to skin color.
Respect Day, accepting that we are all different. And not one of you is better than the other.
THAT is a hard one, isn't it??

No comments: