Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Nature Girl, Or...Call of the Wild

"I do not count the hours I spend
In wandering by the sea;
The forest is my loyal friend,
Like God it useth me. " -Emerson, Waldeinsamkeit

All I have to say to that is hear hear! or some of that old world slang. Isn't it amazing how the geography and climate around us affects our moods, even if on a less conscious level? You may think that because I am "at home" all day, which is not true... to the contrary out alot during each day...that I just notice every little thing. But this has always been. I can remember the chilliness and salt in the air from a first date or a night out with my friends in my hometown like it was yesterday. Also, the hot humid long days of summer, when my hair would grow curlier by the hour and my feet hurt from so much dancing. Another memory- the biting winter air of Gainesville, FL...where most people think it never gets cold, but does! And then, all the places I've lived and how each special moment (like my husband's proposal) is further marked by the temperature of the air, the wind, the amount of stars or sunlight that was out, and how wonderful it is to have always have Nature as my guidepost to my most important "moments".
If I've ever known you, the reader, be assured that I remember certain special moments, like we all do, and that most of them are earmarked by the time of day, the chill of the wind, the excitement of the breeze, or the saltiness of the air. By the way, go outside tonight, in the cold air...it's so beautiful, low moon waning, many stars (if you leave on the Eastern side of the Us probably) and clear, freezing and just a wonderful sight.
(If not, keep those socks on, it's freakin cold out ;)

No comments: