Thursday, December 31, 2009

It's New Year's Eve and I'm NOT dancing on tables yet.

What's wrong with that picture? Is it that I'm bored..no. Is it that we're not in a great local dive waiting for the ball to drop and waiting in long lines to the little girls room after too many cheap beers? no. It's that we are at home tonight...for the first time in a few years, we are at home, got some martinis made, champagne for later, watching the neighbors do fireworks, listening to the dogs bark at those fireworks, watching Tennessee get their booties beat by some other team, put the Christmas tree away for next year, ate some great seafood at Joli Mon's in Dunedin for lunch, and are getting the phone calls for New Year's greetings...and making them.
What are you doing tonight? Probably not reading this, and if you are, good for you! There's nothing wrong with getting on the old home pc to check up on world events like I do every few hours some days simply because my attention span isn't long enough to watch good television or movies...we watch those in three parts usually these days. Jude is sleeping, Nick just made some weird noises from a dream so I went in and did the whole patting on the back comforting thing (something I've never been good at, but am now. In the past, that was way too intimate ;). Life is good, and though the past year was filled with some of the most trashy human interest stories this side of Wewa, we made it.
Looking forward to seeing the newly Unretired Coach Meyer do his highly paid job tomorrow and kick some Cincinatti butt, and for FSU to clean out West Virginia (that's for my beautiful sister, a fellow FSU alumn who is actually rooting for her alma mater unlike myself a big traitor and big Gator fan). My dad loves West Virginia as my folks have a vacay home in them thar hills in a tiny dot of a town called Zenith (it is not on a map but it's gorgeous). so, may the best team win.
What are your resolutions? To pick up litter on the side of the road? To read "The Road" again and try to find any sense of optimism or hope? To read more books to your children at night? To buy your beloved animals good food instead of that cheap crap from Dollar General? To give that bum on the side of the road more than a dollar bill?
Whatever they are, or it is....keep it real, and make it attainable. Losing 40 pounds is probably not realistic if you still love your steak, pizza or beer. Let's be real. Losing 10 is a good start.
Go from there...and every now and then- tell someone special that they are special. What you think, and what you say are two totally different things. Believe me, what I write is what I think, and it's not usually what I need to say.
Stay safe, friends, and keep it on the road.

No comments: