Saturday, March 9, 2013

Say Hello to My Little Friends circa 1988


During this annual spring cleaning and donation weekend I came across 4 large boxes of "stuff" I've been toting around for about 10-20 years now. Some of it report cards from Lucille Moore Elementary School, my talent show programs, playbills from plays I've seen, concert stubs, weird poetry (LOTS OF THAT), homecoming banners, plastic bags of 8 dusty dance/prom corsages which sadly had to be thrown out before I died of mold poisoning, and various other school and youth related items. It has been fun but now I have two boxes instead of 4. These boxes contain my forever past - the stuff i am keeping forever and ever amen. They are slightly organized so that my kids can peruse through them someday ala "Bridges of Madison County" and think "Wow my mom was really strange God bless her". 

Many things got thrown out, which means they are in bags ready to be burned during our next outdoor fire this week. Many things stayed - a few mix tapes from boyfriends, the penciled in song titles fading, a keychain that says "Woman of the Year", tickets to Gator games, maps to state parks near Gainesville, airline stubs to far places, very funny notes and cards from my oddball but very smart girlfriends, and some school folders with grades and directions to keg parties on PCB on the sides...guess what else stayed? My Converse high tops from 8 th grade. Yes these were my first babies, my second black pair lost to history during freshman year at Bay High but these were my Jinks Middle School twins. My friends and I covered them with "I love so and so" ,crossed out and my wonderful skater girl art work and puffy paint intact. They are staying. Some things just beg for a "forever home", and my Converse have seen some STUFF people. If only those laces could talk. Some of you reading this would be in big trouble :)

 Love, JUJU 
 RIP 1988. It was a very good year in fact. 

No comments: