Tuesday, December 28, 2010

True Grit- a piece to chew on for days

Here goes another movie review: I am not going to rehash the story of "True Grit," a novel I first read when I was about 13 and which I must be honest, did not fall in love with. I liked the characters and remembered them throughout my later literary life, but thought the book dry, drawn out and bleak. Through the eyes of a 13 year old, this is no surprise. I was expecting some straight forward adventure and was spoiled by the Frank L. Baum books (Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, etc.) and other series I owned like the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. I didn't know then, what I know now, thanks to writers like Charles Portis, Cormac McCarthy and Ernest Hemingway- a story doesn't have to end with fireworks or begin with a bang- it just happens, and the best writers leave the telling to the readers.
The latest rendition of this story I am very biased towards, only seeing parts of the one with beloved John Wayned playing Rooster Cogburn. So, that's all I can say about that. This one- made me believe again in the power of good writers, good directors, good actors and great stories.

Do not go to this movie expecting "The Big Lebowski on Red Bull During A Western Shootout". Although Jeff Bridges plays a highly incomprehensible Rooster Cogburn, he is funny without trying to be, is sad without knowing it, and it a true character in fiction without being a "character" (which is what alot of Coen Brothers movies include). It is a more subtle film, subtle being for the writing, the kind you have to lean into to hear. It is loud when it needs to be, suspenseful as any horror film, and is almost perfect in it's portrayal of the strange, barren, scraggly wasteland that is Arkansas, USA.

I've been through their alot traveling the last few years- its the state one must go through to get to anywhere else in the West unless you are already living around I-10 then you're just lucky. From Nashville, we had to use I-40 alot to drive west and it SUCKED. But, this film reminds you of the strange beauty of the time, some weird outposts, dugouts, stunted oaks and pines, snow falling in forests that aren't really forests...it is true to nature. It is the Missisippi basin area, without being at all "Southern".
I almost applauded at the end of the movie, as did some of the full theater we were in. The story of one girl's utter and complete goal of avenging her father's killer was consistant and very well played by an actress who didn't distract with some childlike poses or guiles. Matt Damon played "Le Beef" wink wink and I think he actually disappeared into the role (a good thing) compared to most roles he plays. Jeff Bridges completed the cast as Rooster, and does not disappoint. In fact, I think he won me over by not cleaning up at all. He shows a big belly, a mumbling whiskey voice, and greasy hairdo despite being called to be a hero at times during the film. It does not bode well that he gets so drunk he cannot relate to people but can still shoot a cornbread muffin out of the sky, but we root for him anyway.

Besides the characters, the story was a full affirmation in film making. It starts slow, builds, has a ton of great suspense and the editing was so nice for the shooting scenes. At times, I felt like I was watching "Pulp Fiction" and at times, "Unforgiven". It is that dark. It is a subtle dark, though, not out to "get" the viewer, but to let you enjoy several long moments before having a fast action one. It is a story that makes you think about certain scenes and wonder, and it leaves a few questions open.

I think that's a good thing, in this film. It concludes, but makes you want more. Why was that man hanging so high? Why was that man wearing a bear on his body? Who was he, really? What's with the dead man's body they kept trading? Why did Rooster keep kicking those children of their porch? Was that cool - no..Why did "LaBeef" feel the need to whip up on Maddy Ross? As I believed through the book, he lived by a simple but old fashioned rule- young people didn't need to be petulant to their elders..which is consistant throughout his future actions, which is why the film is so awesome. The characters never waver. EVER.
These things need ruminating. Go see the movie.

No comments: