Monday, November 23, 2009

Going down the Rabbit Hole...

Recently I was told that my "Grandpa", who passed away a few years back, and whom I held a special place in my heart, was adopted by his mother's second husband. I never knew her, of course, and never knew she remarried. I also never knew that she divorced her first husband...and was a little surprised at this info since you just don't hear alot about couples divorcing back in the "old days". Also, divorce is very rare in both sides of my family tree, which makes it more ironic that I married a divorced man, who like alot of my friends and almost myself, got married at a younger age with alot of stress on board. I've never held a negative attitude towards anyone who has tried the sometimes very hard act of marriage, and have always thought that most of us who attempt it are either crazy, naive, mentally unstable, or just plain bored. Anyway, Grandpa's stepfather raised him from childhood into the wonderful, witty, unique man that he became, and he had a happy and long life. What I am curious about now, is this birth father, his last name was "Labonte", my great grandfather.
That's all I know for the time being, and when my family gets together there's so much chitchat and barnyard chatter that I will have to remind myself this week to find out more.
Will there be more skeletons in the closet this year? More items to amuse me and my husband as we often marvel at the wonderful wackiness of our family trees and the stories they hold?
Oh....the stories I could tell, as could most people out there about their own families. What do we decide to tell our own children, nieces, or nephews? Do we leave the parts out about the political arguments over turkey day, the passive aggressive door slamming during family fire pit nights, the laughing over the lewd jokes during giddy late night Christmas Eves? Do we tell our kids about the oldest living McMullen (my very big pioneering family down here) that had a burlesque dancer show up to his 100th birthday?? Oh wait...shhh.. those kind of stories are meant to "stay in the family".....

No comments: