Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A little Edna

Edna St. Vincent Millay is one of my favorite poets. Lately, I've been reading through my books of poetry and enjoying how different they all are. This book was marked "From the library of Jennifer L. McCarthy, 1994", like I have some huge wooden library with a rolling staircase (how wonderful that would be). I'm in the mood for something soulful. Here is the last verse to "Renascence" as it is printed in my volume.

The world stands out on either side

No wider than the heart is wide:

Above the world is stretched the sky, -

No higher than the soul is high.

The heart can push the sea and land

Farther away on either hand;

The soul can split the sky in two,

And let the face of God shine through.

But East and West will pinch the heart

That can not keep them pushed apart;

And he whose soul is flat - the sky

Will cave in on him by and by.