Saturday, December 27, 2008

An Ode to Country Music

I like all kinds of music, but after living in Nashville for a while, got to appreciate better some of the more well written songs and singers of the genre...I've got a list growing that I keep downloading of some really good music from NashVegas- enjoy!
"Jolene"- Dolly Parton: This is really old school hillbilly songbird at her best. It's sad, it's pleading, and you feel like you know exactly what she means. Please- Jolene! Don't take my man away from me!
"Stupid Boy" - Keith Urban: I really like this guy, not for his frosted hair and Aussie accent, but for his guitar playing and song writing chops, which come out in this beautiful ballad...the long version is the best which they don't play much on the radio. It's about being a stupid boy and being such a jerk that she leaves you...of course you want her back later, ya'll!
"Carrying your love with me"- George Strait: Maybe it's because I've lived in TN and visit my folks second home in West Virginia (both of which he mentions) so much, or maybe it's just because it's so awesome. Listen at your leisure and enjoy the flavor.
"My Old Friend"- somewhat unknown but goodie from Tim McGraw. Mellow, bittersweet song about memories with an old pal.
"Like Red on a Rose"- Alan Jackson: His best ballad so far. Sweeping strings and guitars with his rich voice, and he leaves out the twang.
"Mud on the Tires"- Brad Paisley: this guy also actually plays guitar and it's such a fun song that reminds me of rednecks and midnight stars.
"Georgia Rain" - Trisha Yearwood: I can't even listen to this without getting all emo. Her voice is so strong and the song paints a picture.
"Hurt"- Johnny Cash: I love all his stuff but this version is like swallowing a sip of Kentucky Bourbon (Maker's Mark, maybe?) and then listening to your own funeral speech.Fun! and good.
David Allan Coe- enough said.
"Georgia" Willie Nelson: also considered a folk singer, he just pulls it off in this. His voice sounds like a 12 string guitar (I know cuz we have one) somehow it vibrates, and he is so mellow and raspy at the same time.
"Neon Moon"- Brooks and Dunn:I like pretty much anything they do, and didn't know much about them till recently. Huge catalog of stuff. Some country "corny" but most really really good musically.
"November"- I got the title wrong I think, but it's a Rich and Big song about a Vietnam vet, and it is very touching from such a flamboyant group- spare, strong and not over-produced like most of their songs.
"A Great Day to Be Alive"- Travis Tritt: The best song about just enjoying the open air and some time off....well written, fun and optimistic in a time of cynicism.
"Run"- George Strait: I'm a fan of his, obviously. A bittersweet appeal to just run to the next car, train, boat or Harley to get immediately to your loved one. Awesome.
"Redneck Woman"- Gretchen Wilson: I hated this at first because i was forced to hear it sung live at at every famous honkytonk on Broadway in Nashville for two years, but do appreciate it's clever, fast, fun verse and it reminds me of some folks back in PC... in a good way.
Well...there's too much to put down in this genre but fun to think about. I don't care too much for Kenny Chesney (the twang and he's always reminscing like he's already 60), or alot of the flash in the pan American Idol types. But I'm always listening...and hoping for more good music.

No comments: