Thursday, December 18, 2008

Along came a gas leak

So we made it to the gym today, little junior and I, and after a good workout and sweating in the newly humid air, walked outside the gym ready to go home and have short nap time/ clean house time around noon. Five fire trucks were surrounding a large parking lot area (with our truck surrounded) and also blocked a major intersection...a gas line had been ruptured according to a fire chief I spoke too, and it was comming up through the concrete and into the vehicles parked there. Of course, my Xterra was among them. No! He said- you gotta wait at least 1/2 hour because you're car could ignite if you turn it on.
Well, in no mood to get blown up today, I walked with junior up and down the shaded shopping center area, checking out the Ace Hardware store (yes they are still around), all the way to the Publix on the far end, and then slowly back...junior takes a while to walk as he likes to look at each crack every few yards (just like a man!). On the way, I decided that good Chinese take- out was a perfect after gym meal. But no! They couldn't cook anything because the gas had been turned off to the whole shopping center.
After about 1 hour of waiting, I was told I could "probably" get in our car and back out safely, and was directed to go out another way. "Probably!" I asked...does that mean yes my car won't blow up with me in it? Or probably we'll be toast? Theoretically, it seemed, the wind was blowing the gas the "safe" way now ....so I grabbed juniors tight little fingers, hauled him into his seat, strapped him in .0008 seconds flat, put that truck in REVERSE, hauled butt backwards (the lot was cleared except for about 3 other cars) and opened my eyes about 10 seconds later. SAFE! Only after I got a cold iced tea from the Checker's nearby did I finally uncross my fingers. Finally got home and threw junior wheat toast ... he loves it.
There is no point to this story. Only that perhaps I could have just stayed in the gym longer until the gas leak was cleared up. But, that would have been way too easy.

1 comment:

John and Andrea said...

Holy Cow! Glad ya'll made it out of there O.K.!