Tuesday, June 16, 2009

sap sap sappiness

On the way home from my yoga class, driving along the Dunedin waterfront which always reminds me of Panama City, one of my recently placed cd's started up in the stereo. The first song stirred something in me- it was sentimental, bittersweet and hopeful, and it was completely the opposite of the darker, more moody music I usually love. The second song I found on the same cd was a love song, written better than any love song I have ever heard, and I got all weepy and fought back melodramatic tears.
Suck it up you sucker! I said to myelf. It's the yoga, all that relaxation, it's the hormones, it's because you're hours from your hometown. Then I had to laugh and enjoy it- that feeling that music gives, the vibe, the sinking into a moment, a memory, or a surrounded sound of nostalgia. Out of all the music I have collected over the years...what were those two songs that pulled on my teeny tiny but still delicate heartstrings??

First song- "Someday Lady You'll Accompany Me"
Second song- "We've Got Tonight"
both by Bob Seger.
He's no Jeff Buckley or Otis Redding, but damn, he's good. His gravelly voice is tender and tough (sounds like a steak) and his lyrics are wonderfully simple, touching and timeless.

PS- I never listened to "Like a Rock" before it was used so often in those famous truck ads but it's a great song about the spirit of being young.

No comments: