Friday, May 1, 2009

Mexican flu days are here again...

They are starting to call the "swine flu" "Mexican flu" since that seems to be the newer, more accurate version of the origination of the flu. This stuff cracks me up. I am not laughing over the people who have died, I am talking about the news media and our government. I watched some of our higher up politicians talk about the flu on the net, and I really felt sorry for them. How do you express your sincere concern about a pretty easy- to -spread bug on national tv without making every one panic?? If they don't sound that concerned, people think they are callous and flippant about a serious issue. They just can't win, can they?
On another note, I have recently gotten into a rut withour new hometown of Clearwater. Since we have lived here last summer, we have hit every little surrounding village (Tarpon Springs being a favorite-great Greek food and wine), every beach, fished almost every fishing on-shore nook (gotten on a few boats so far and will have our own again someday soon I am sure), been to some great eating establishments, and some interesting gardens and artsy areas. We really like hearing live music so after #2 is born will be back into that very very soon. When you grow up visiting a place as often as I cam here with my family to see our grandparents, it becomes like a second home. This is the case with Clearwater- we have family everywhere- I have third cousins, great aunts, grandparents and family in Dunedin, Clearwater, Safety Harbor and Palm Harbor. Not to mention far flung McMullens in Largo, etc. The problem is, now that we've been here as a couple, Phillip and I just need to find new things to do!
We are not amusement park people - no Busch Gardens and especially Disney! Those are the last places we would spend our money for amusement. But we love live music, and new sights and sounds. Hmm...maybe I need to google some new places to visit.
One thing Iv'e realized it that when we are little people- new places seem to big, so new. And when we're all grown up- those places lose their "bigness". In fact, I have realized with humour, that Clearwater is a very small area. Perhaps, in the end, I like bigger cities better with more going on than what this beachy village has to offer....and also realize that Panama City was the only place where Phillip & I found some great great live blues venues where we could cut loose, dance and believe it or not- most people we knew there were not "rednecks".
Hmm- I must revisit our new town and start digging around for some fresh places and faces. In the meantime, the beach is always here for a nice long walk and fresh air.
Maybe we should open our own place the next few years....we've talked about it before in PC. It's very ponderous. Could call it Salty Limey's, or Salt and Lime or Jennifer's Nuthouse, or Crazy Juju's, or JLynn's Wine and Nibbles...

No comments: