Tuesday, March 17, 2009

IRISH MUTTS RULE

For starters, half my family, the McMullens, descend from Capt. James McMullen who came from Scotland and who had many many sons. Therefore, here in Pinellas County there is a McMullen cemetary (where I can be buried for free), a 6 lane highway called McMullen-Booth Road, many old McMullen homesteads that are county parks that one can visit, and a very large McMullen reunion in Largo that is a blast only because every time I go I meet some new second or third cousin. My mom's side of the family was prolific down here in the citrus industry, the oil industry and there are still successfull McMullen Roofing and various other businesses that my uncle and more distant relatives run. My dad's side is the McCarthy side, the name being the most common in County Kerry, Ireland. Also on his side were some British folk (two older aunts of his I was too young to meet used to have tea every afternoon). On my mother's mom's side (Emily McMullen- maiden name Daeger), her mother Anna Daeger came from Austria in 1912 on a boat and they have found her signature at Ellis Island. I still need to do more digging to find out more about the McCarthy side, but I do know my Grandpa McCarthy raised my dad and his sisters in Elgin Ill, which I can thank for my dad's wonderful pragmatic Mid-Western personality. I always liked that he wasn't the typical good ol boy from Bay County.
My husband's last name is Roosen- not common in the south but more in the north. In fact, his father's relatives are scattered throughout Ohio and he spent time there as a child and we have visited his peeps up there while married. Roosen is a Belgian name, and he has discovered Roosen relatives that live across the pond in Belgian that he should visit someday. There is also some Spanish blood on his side maybe explaining his love of spicy Spanish food?
Anyhoo, we're all mutts and I am planning a big St. Patricks' Day party for next year. Bud Light is allowed but it's preferred to be dyed green if you must drink it!
Happy St. Paddy's Day!

No comments: