Monday, June 11, 2012

Robots do it better.

Great link to Slate article below about "robot" performances in film. I cannot wait to see Michael Fassbender in "Prometheus". Supposedly his performance is an even better story than the plotline about the aliens. I have to say HAL in 2001 is the creepiest but most honest "performance" as an artificially intelligent being in a film in my opinion, but Slate's story focuses on A.I. beings that are created to look human and that are living among their more fleshy and allegedly soulful step siblings, us.

I think Jude Law's robotic gigilo in A.I. deserved all the recognition he got, as the rest of the movie was too long and filled with Steven Spielberg happy syrup - that ruined the second half. Ugg - Spielberg never trusts the audience enough to let things get real and too uncomfortable, but just like a good politician, he thinks we need coddling and it ruins his better stories.

 Back on track my friends... Batty in Blade Runner is my personal fave for tragic "robot" figure. The replicants in Blade Runner (another Ridley Scott masterpiece - he did Prometheus, Gladiator, Alien and also writes for the Good Wife on t.v.)...takes the viewer from early moments of horror at their physical attributes and off putting ticks to a journey of empathy.

The final scene of Blade Runner with Harrison Ford watching his long pursued prey dying..is one of heartbreak and realization of what it means to be "human." and of course, there is the final mystery of Blade Runner- Is Harrison Ford's character (Decker) a replicant too? I have seen this film dozens of times, I have the special edition and have read the fan blogs, and still don't know if I want to believe he is just human, and not a replicant. After all, the robots/ replicants in most films usually achieve in their "deaths" what humans search for forever - freedom from suffering.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/06/09/michael_fassbender_s_david_in_prometheus_is_just_the_latest_great_robot_performance_.html

No comments: