Friday, June 24, 2011

I am listening to Way Back Home by Band of Horses. If you have never heard this song, please do so at your earliest convenience :) Every single time I listen to it, it gives me chills. It's like the Beach Boys had their children and they created a band for the modern times. It even has the "wall of sound" so famous from Phil Spector (who unfortunately shot a woman in his home and is now a murderer).

Anyway, the point of this post was that I have been terribly homesick lately. You may have noticed. My heart is on the sleeve of the internet and I am a pretty honest and open person. Now "Infinite Arms" is playing, another great song from BOH. These songs make me feel like I should be cruising along HWY 98. Am I having an early midlife crisis? No. I am happy with my life, family and current situation. However, it's too easy to want more. Isn't it. Sometimes, I want only to take my whole family back to Bay County to live, grow up and enjoy the special places that I know and that Phillip and I enjoyed as an early married couple for a few years. Nothing is the same as home, or being close enough to get there in less than 8 hours.

It has been a hard month to be honest, we took Nick to the ER at midnight about two weekends ago because he couldn't breath. He is fine now. Croup, they said, an easily passed viral infection. I spent the past few days washing everything in the house. Airing out, fresh sheets, throwing out some stuffed animals and explaining that to our kids. In the meantime, Mumford and Sons music helped me out too. Music doesn't give solutions but it certainly helps a scared parent out at times.

When your kids are suffering, there is a part of your heart that will never be the same again. Trust me.




No comments: