Thursday, September 2, 2010

my PSA for the month- after that more pointless fun stuff

Friends, I have to tell you that this morning started with a WTF moment- I turn on our local news for about 1/2 hour while we get ready to take Nick to school and there was a new oil rig explosion. My heart sunk. Then- no lives lost, no oil leaking (supposedly since it was an inactive rig). Then I thought- but what were those men working on? Why the hasty news writing it off so quickly. After this point, I had no time to think...of to school, driving through a drop -off circle for my first born Nashville Vanderbilt child who I love so much it hurts.

I drove onward with Jude in the other child's seat, onto the causeway, to enjoy the cooler temps at 8:30 am. We checked out the "bumpy side" - all limestone rocks (popular down here) and saw the homeless guy who isnt' really homeless hanging around his cat he lives on...he has seen me so many times and someday I am going to talk to him. He's got blonde hair bleached from the sun and skin like a alligator purse but he sure does always look happy to me. Jude and I hung out for an hour, me laying in a chair and him tucked in his stroller in the shade facing me away from the rising hot sun. by 10 - time to go home and stay in the a/c for while.

My point is- there is no time like the present to see if there is anything at all you can personally do for our Gulf of Mexico. If you look online, there are countless groups that help wildlife, that need supplies for cleaning animals (this is still going on in LA btw, even if the news hasn't reported it that much anymore), and there are groups that just go out and clean up tons of trash. I have seen them weekly, in orange pullovers- volunteer groups who pick up water bottles, plastic and trash that people leave behind.

This is about responsibility. And about doing something, even little things, if you can. I have picked up bags of other people's trash here in Dunedin, and this is considered a very eco-friendly type of community. I don't doubt people consider themselves that, but they still leave a heap of trash behind. The beaches are beautiful here because volunteers help clean up before you hit the shoreline with your family.

I'm not big on guilt trips. I dont like the media informing me of things we should already know, and usually do. I am big on doing things I know are right.

Do something, anything, about cleaning up the Gulf. This is my only PSA for the week. I promise.

No comments: