Wednesday, March 31, 2010

E.B. White - you should read his stuff.

I found, in the Salvation Army bookstore in PC about 3 years ago, the "Essays of EB White" for $2 (a 1950 Doubleday hardcover- not too bad a deal). He wrote "Charlotte's Web" and my favorite childhood "novel"- "Trumpet of the Swan." I never knew that he wrote such wonderful adult essays, not knowing to search him out as his stories were so prominently featured in the "New Yorker", "Harper's Magazine" and the "Atlantic Monthly" during the last few decades.
I cannot describe well how much I recommend this volumne of stories. I can only say I loved, appreciated and will always keep a treasure of his tales of life, death, weather and living in nature as he does so well. Apparently, he lived in NYC for his literary life, but also kept a farm/ estate on the East Coast with his wife, where he had horses, pigs, chickens and dealt with hurricanes and nostalgia quite often. His stories are sentimental, but like Hemingway, somewhat emotionally brutal at times ( like alot of male authors I like, somewhat distant emotionally upon immediate tragedy, yet somehow able to make you tear up by the end of their adventure.)

I would recommend this volume for anyone- it's full of stories you will identify with- even though White is very geographically set, his stories could ring true with any of us.

I knew of him before journalism college- before they made us buy "Strunk and White's Elements of Style"- any journalism person still quotes from this book. I had read "Trumpet of the Swan" when I was ten, and afterwards looked for years for books that equaled the appeal and maturity of that particular story matter-
I hope you take the time to add this to your reading list.

Good night, Kids!

No comments: