Monday, October 12, 2009

They wear short shorts.

This weekend I went to my first rugby game, when my husband played with the Tampa Krewe against the St. Pete Penguins. It was a long hot day- we got to the field at 11 am and after two hours of practice, and several of two games (for Teams A & B), left around 5 pm. It was crazy. I have picturesw to be posted on Facebook. I felt like I had left the soupy hot Florida weather and landed somewhere in Wales or New Zealand, based in the mammoth arms, legs, and torsos of the men running around, and on their various crew cuts and random pony tails that only Europeans seem to be able to carry off well. It was fun, I hung out with other women watching the games with their kids, and though passed up on the pints of beer being offered, enjoyed the testorerone filled afternoon like any good American girl. Nick ran around saying "rugby! rugby!" which he always says while we watch football (not the same, son). Phillip played on Team B, being a new person to this team (he played on Panama CIty's Hurricane team) and when it was all over we were both needing Ibuprofen. These guys don't wear helmets, pads or any gear except mouth guards. We were both worn out from a very fun late U2 concert the night before, and pretty much sweated out ten pounds both days being outside in record breaking heat...
Anyway, they DO wear short shorts in rugby, and very tight shirts, and they huddle and grab each other like wrestlers while trying to tear the ball away from each other. It's very primitive without all the protective gear we see in American football, and so much fun to watch.
For now....must go. Have lots to catch up on if I can today. I miss writing so much! Saw a VERY SUCKY MOVIE I must warn everyone about, read a VERY GOOD BOOK, and have lost half my mind since getting about 3 hours sleep each night for the past 4 weeks (no exaggeration).
Tata for now people!

No comments: