Saturday, October 24, 2009

Saturday Irish poetry

Because I've been up since about 5 am and it's football day- none of which has anything to do with W.B. Yeats....here's a fave of mine I just rediscovered in one of my old books that my sister gave me Christmas 1990.

He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven
W. B. Yeats

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet:
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Over the years since getting caught up in very hectic career life, marriage and kids, I have forced myself to reopen my old textbooks, poetry and history books, because I missed the way we learn so much during our formal education - and that fades over time. We end up grabbing info from the internet or on crazy news shows, and it's just not the same as examining a painting in which a revolutionary is being shot for standing up to a Fascist government, or looking for the hidden symbolism in some Titian painting. Obviously, my journalism and editing skills are failing me now as I write this, too lazy to correct my grammar or to tone down these run- on sentences...but you get the point. I need coffee.

ta ta for now kids.









No comments: