Thursday, August 6, 2009

You make me very very sad

If you've ever watched the fun circus of wanna- be designers that is "Project Runway", you may recognize this quote from one of the judges and the host, supermodel Heidi Klum. With her cute German accent, she actually says it like this, "You make me vewy vewy sad," like she's talking to one of her Seal pup babies in foreign baby talk.
Anyway, that is exactly what I wanted to say to my son's motor skills therapist this week during our session. I was sitting on the floor in her room while she played with him, mostly doing activities like stringing large beads, placing things in size order and stacking items by color, all of which he's perfectly good at. The therapist noticed that upon recongnizing letters, he started humming the alphabet song, and then I joined in with humming "Hey Jude". Instantly, he got excited and we both started singing the words outloud, skipping over parts until the chorus ending of nanana na! Hey Jude!. She looked slightly confused and while I totally enjoy these moments, I explained that we were glad he liked that song since that is going to be our other son's name. Also, that we are trying to get Nick used to having a baby brother around by saying "Jude" and or "baby brother" as much as possible. Much to my heartbreak and shock, the therapist, who looks about 18, said, "Is that a nursery rhyme? Or is Jude a family name?"
I did a bent head look- up like I do at people I just don't understand.
"No, it's the popular Beatle's song, "Hey Jude"...we just have always liked it..." my voice trailed off as I realized with horror she didn't know what I was talking about.
No Beatles? No "Hey Jude?" how could this be?? So, she's very young, and maybe all she knows about music is what MTV tells her to listen to, like pop music of today. I realize the Beatles catalog of music dates back to over 30 years, but their music is still so prevelant and is widely used in television ads, blasting over shopping centers, and simply coats our mainstream lives that my ears sometimes have tuned it out, due to "Beatle fatigue." (this a term I created in the 1990's to also describe the overuse of really really good music like songs by Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and REM.)
"I've never heard of it," the young therapist nailed the coffin with such painful thrusts that my heart instantly broke into a million little pieces.
I left our session sad and played one of our Beatles CD's on the way home, as if to remind myself they still existed.
I thought of the last lines of the Dylan poem..."This is the way the world ends....not with a bang, but with a whimper."
I patted by pregnant baby belly and reassured our son that world was still a kind and loving place and that no matter what, we would always play Beatles music in our home.

Tragedy! It made me very, very sad. So, of course, I had to play "Let it Be" and let it go.

2 comments:

John and Andrea said...

Wow! Either she's really young and naive, or really stupid!! It's cool that 'Nick sang along too.
I love the name and I can't wait to meet him!!!

... said...

in response to John and Andrea's comment, I agree.. I think the therapist was just really young. I don't assume that everyone likes the name Jude, or even likes the Beatles, but geez!