Thursday, August 27, 2009

IKEA- A mad mad world of fru fru, color, and dorm rats

So, the big new thing in Tampa right now is the "must see" IKEA store, so of course we hopped across our dirty little salty pond going East and pulled up to the new IKEA store with high expectations and some extra cash. It sits on the 'pretty" nicer end of Ybor city, the trendy part with a McCafe nearby and newly restored red brick that doesn't quite hide the two hookers lounging around, the man talking to himself at a bustop, or the empty projects that Tampa tries so hard to make tourists forget exist. Anyhoo, there was the IKEA store- a huge two story behemoth (I love that word!) that looks like a Costco or even a small airport. It was a Sunday, and I assumed it would look more like a smaller Walmart or Old Navy- silly me!
Phillip & I loaded Nick into a cart inside after being told outside when we tried to get an outside cart that we needed to grab a cart inside. Walmart this was not! Once inside, a crazy mob of shoppers whirled around, employees in vests with headsets directed foot traffic, and arrows on the floor told you were to start...like Candyland for adults! There was even a kids playground inside for moms who hate trees, sand and normal playgrounds that are outside.
So, we navigated through the store, sometimes getting frowned at for going the wrong way while trying to actually look up close at the little set-ups they create showing you how very cool, efficient and modern their shelves and sofas really are. We did need shelves and saw some nice wall size units for our art/music room - the kind with no backing like stacked cubes that can also be used as room dividers. The store is like a Bed Bath and Beyond with sofas, storage "solutions", colorful fabric items like pillows, comforters and rugs and anything else you could possible need for your home. We were secure in our knowledge that we have enough stuff in our house, new decorations, high quality cookware, nice furniture and we don't feel the need to replace and redo every year like some consumers. We moved on, going up a huge elevator to the second story, looking at rolling butcher block islands, bathroom gizmos, and of course the kid's area that they make look like a dream. I took mental notes, because I realized long ago that most things you see for kid's rooms are thing you can do yourself very easily, and I hate paying for someone else to do something I can do on my own- that's just stupid.
I had one of my sudden urges for water and spotted a cafeteria like line and made a dash into it. We realized fast this wasn't a regular fountain drink area, but a true restaurant, with a lit up menu featuring ribs, Swedish meatballs, salads and more. Ribs at an IKEA?? Seems like being a European design company they might serve lighter fare but maybe this was an attempt at targeting us fat redneck 'Mericans. So, after being told by a cashier to just grab a bottled water instead of a fountain cup and that I could get those at the BISTRO which was downstairs, I finally quenched my thirst.
So much work just pick up a colorful rug or something, right? My husband and I looked at each other, smiling at the whole crazy scene. There were so many people that you really couldn't see far ahead, like an outdoor concert. Once back downstairs, I asked an employee if it was always this crowded and she said only on the weekends. I know school started and it's also in a popular tourist area, so can't fault people for giving the place plenty of business. However, we left without anything but the water and both agreed it may be a while before going back, neither being a big fan of shopping for the heck of it anyway. Once home, we looked up the shelves to order online- and guess what- they are only offered in the store. Oh well...my husband has another homemade project on his hands. Good thing Sears still sells those Craftsman tools that we use so much of lately! In all, the IKEA store was more of an experience than a retail store, and that may be their goal. If that is the case, then they will be very successful here. After all, this is the land of Walt Disney, Busch Gardens and Bucs Games.
I liked the store, but like a first date, may need more information before going again...such as my interest to gas mileage ratio or IGMR (my new way of measuring my motivation for going anywhere into Tampa, since we live further away now). I am sharing this tip with you so you may steal it, and save yourself gas money also. Ta ta for now kids, the thunder is rolling and I am going to see if The Dude has dug any new holes in our backyard today, sneaky thing.

No comments: