Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Time Travel movies, and other nonsense

yesterday sucked really bad. Our son was diagnosed with a rare genetic eye disorder and instead of explaining it here.. I thought it would fun to list my favorite time travel movies. It's popular on blogs to see lists of everyone's favorites movies, music etc so this is just another variation. Now- time travel can mean different things to anyone, but I'm talking about just any good sci-fi or fantasy type story that you like that involves some sort of time travel or dimension-jumping. OK- I'll go first!

1. Donnie Darko- if you have never seen this 2001 Jake Gyllenhall movie (also Drew Barrymore) - you must run RUN to get it & watch it over and over until you are just as amazed and confused as we are every single time we watch it. Besides a fantastic trippy 80's soundtrack (Echo and the Bunnymen,etc) there are theories about God, science (as God), time jumping, deja vus, killer rabbits, wormholes, etc. It's too much to explain. It's also a tender comming of age story that reminds me oh such awkward times in school. YOU MUST SEE THIS> and discuss with me anytime what You think the ending means. Or the entire movie for that matter!

2. The Wizard of Oz- freaky flying monkeys, green faced witches, poppy fields, munchkins, and oh yeah! Red ruby slippers that take you back to Kansas. Maybe this isn't a true time travel movie but more of a "was it all a dream" movie. But since I've read all the original Frank Baum series - I understand this movie better. Green = The Great Depression, Poppy = Heroin/Escapism from the Great Depression, The Yellow Brick Road = Bars of Gold,
Well.. it 's a great classic but also a great adventure in speculation as the symbolism of the books which were written during the Great Depression. It's also fun to watch the munchkins sing their high-pitched songs for Dorothy like they just helium and can't exhale fast enough.

3. The Chronicles of Narnia- yet another great fantasy adventure that is pretty straightforward and full of Christian symbolism. I thought the affects were good, and although I wasn't really sure of the ancient past or "parallel" place the kids travel too, it's just dark enough to keep my interest in what really is a children's story.

4. Alice in Wonderland- now there are several tv and movie versions of this story. but Mr. Lewis Carroll must have really been on something to come up with the idea of a naive little blonde girl falling into a rabbit hole and meeting some crazy characters. I hear that Johnny Depp may be the Mad Hatter in the new Tim Burton version... I cannot wait.

5. The Time Machine - this movie really stunk and I usually love Guy Pearce! This just seemed like a low budget tv movie. Don't waste your time.

Well...duty calls for now. Think of some and let me know. I have short term post baby memory these days. Bakatcha! J M.

1 comment:

John and Andrea said...

Hey! Didn't "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" have some kind of time travel? Well, I know it was about erasing memories... Others? Hmm...Oh "13 going on 30" with Jennifer Garner, cute.