Saturday, January 12, 2013

I said goodbye to Facebook..this article is a good summary of someone else's reasons..

My breakup with Facebook  (great article via Salon.com)


There are many reasons why I broke up with Facebook, I am not going to list all of them here. Some reasons range from feeling somewhat bullied by long lost relatives and or friends who like to brow beat people into thinking their way is the best way (these people upon looking back were always bullies in sheeps clothing), to reasons like being amazed at the amount of complaining and unhappiness people seemed to have in their lives, their marriages and their career paths. Most of my friends, whom I had recently narrowed significantly down, are very bright, witty people who I admire and respect very much, people are doing cool things with their lives and who liked to "trash talk" things like films, music and cultural events like I do. They are not all alike, they are diverse, they are positive with a little salt in their lives (I don't mind hearing about how people's lives are going, just not an ongoing bitch list of how bad everything is - i always wanted to post "change it! quit what you're doing and change something!"), and they are still my friends. In fact, after four years on facebook, i now have more email and phone numbers and have actually MET and hung out with so many more old and new friends the past year, which makes me very happy. These are people who like to maybe paddleboard, surf, eat, read, talk politics (without getting hostile, God bless those crazy people on FB i don't miss them!), tell bawdy adult jokes, who have a sense of humor and who enjoy Life with a capitol L.

In the end, those "friends" are still my Friends. Now, we can just have fun in Real Life. They know where to find us, and I have their numbers. The recent phone calls from so many of these folks makes me smile, knowing I dont' need the crutch of FB to stay connected with those I had missed for so long! It's there if I need it for future reasons, but so far - the break has left my mind uncluttered by other people's worries and my life full of real contact :)


No comments: