Monday, November 22, 2010

Potter and his serious white boy game

I just saw the latest Harry Potter movie in the theaters in Pensacola Fl while visiting the wonderful in-laws. It was THE BEST ONE EVER. I always watched the last three with the growing feeling that I was seeing something FINALLY being written for someone over 10 years old. Now, keep in mind I have not yet read any of the books, I didn't on purpose, once I realized the movies were being made. I'm weird like that. Anyway, I love to read, but wanted to have at least one series of popular novels that I did not know anything about. David Yates and company (director, writers, set designers and creative staff) finally seemed to realize that the Harry Potter story (much like the dumbed down Dorothy and Oz series) was really meant for somewhat more sophisticated viewers, and that you can do a film to please many at once.

For once- I was really seeing the evil side of the "one we must not speak of", and for once, the Harry Potter crew is out of the safety of their college / wizard school and in a mid- apocalyptic world of empty streets, quiet skies, and crowds quickly dispersed by evil clouds of wrong- minded folk. You know the drill - the cool thing is- this film takes it to a whole different level.
Also, there are real moments of decent acting between the cast members. Not just the major ones, but the entire entourage of Weasleys, etc. There are enough moments to let the viewer remember things of the past, a stunt not often pulled in this time of fast paced action sets. It let's the viewer into the scenery, and enjoy any new action with a renewed sense of "why" and of purpose.

When you have a series this long, it's hard to keep up the momentum. We have the entire set so far at home, and it's interesting to see how the different directors shifted momentum half way through the novels. I love the latest movie. It's emotional, it's full of gravity, and lets go of any cutesy novelties to pull you in- by now, if you don't get Harry Potter- now is the time to "get it".

And...on a long winter night...see the previous films to enjoy the journey. The latest film is by far the best. It's the darkest, the most mature, and the themes of Nazis, pure-bloods, and similar dogma will have your radar pricked for hours. Hello ! Harry has finally landed on the shores of ethnic cleansing- will he make it out or save the world from it ?

Only those who've read it know- so don't tell me please, I've got half a year left until I know what happens...

No comments: