Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thanksgiving

How are you turkeys out there? Long time no write. Did you have fun with your relatives...digging into infamous Thanksgiving fare or did you go to save the bales off the coast of Honduras somewhere? I had a very nice time in my old hometown, getting around, sticking within the family circle this time, not trying to see every old high school friend but making memories with my own parents, my close family members and my sons. This will be another short post, but it has been vexing me lately- this question of when are we satisfied, what does is mean to happiness, will we recognize it when it comes, and are we really grateful for what we have? AND - is it a bad thing to want more for oneself, not in material stuff but just more in personal achievements and dreams. I say no. I say we have that inner voice for a reason, the one who tells us to get off the couch, stop dreaming and start doing. When we achieve one goal, our minds just need more. I believe this is what makes us different than the other monkeys swinging from branches - the ability to want more, to make plans, to consciously choose a dangerous "rush" or to choose a peaceful route that makes our lives feel that much more wide open, and less roped in.

As the old gem says "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might just find, you get what you need."  Ahh...that old chestnut. I don't buy it. I say- don't settle. Just tread lightly on the rainbows of others in search of your own. Time is too short. (TITS - sounds like a great tshirt logo right.)

No comments: