Monday, February 13, 2012

Unlucky number?

Had to write fast because I was on post number 666 for too many days...I am going to pot a David Sedaris excerpt for your entertainment. I hope to catch up on many things during the next few nights as the PC is MINE ALL MINE (evil laugh) due to some new writing work I will be doing. In heaven once, again, writing for some cash is something that makes me smile. I don't need the money but it's nice to be recognized for something one loves to do.
Here is a passage from Sedaris essay titled "Put a lid on it" in which he visits a rather odd sister of his who is perfectly fine being who she is...but he always tries to change her.

"I am reminded of a conversation I hold annually with my friend Ken Shorr.

ME: Did you get your tree yet?
KEN: I'm a Jew, I don't decorate Christmas trees.
ME: So you're going witwh a wreath instead?
KEN: I just told you, I'm a Jew.
ME: Oh, I get it. You're looking for a cheap wreath.
KEN: I'm not looking for a wreath at all. Leave me alone, will you.
ME:You're probably just tense because you haven't finished your Christmas shopping.
KEN: I don't Christmas shop.
ME:What are you telling me? That you make all your presents?
KEN: i don't give Christmas presents period.Goddamit, i told you, I'm a Jew.
ME: Well, don't you at least need to buy something for your parents?
KEN: They're Jews too, idiot. That's what makes me one. It's hereditary.Do you understand?
ME: Sure.
KEN: Say the words 'I understand.'
ME: I understand. So where are you going to hang your stocking ?


I can't seem to fathom that the things important to me are not important to other people as well, and so I come off as sounding like a missionary, someone whose job it is to convert rather than listen...Yes, your Tiki god is handsome, but we're here to talk about Jesus... It's no wonder Tiffany dreads my visits. Even when silent I seem to broadcast my prissy disapproval...."


Thank you David Sedaris for writing characters and stories we can recognize and laugh at too!

No comments: